What a week in NYC. In an industry that’s constantly evolving, Advertising Week New York 2023 stands at the forefront of the revolution, driving conversations around adtech, agency dynamics, media strategies, and impactful sponsorships. The Winmo team spent the week networking, attending sessions, hosting a happy hour, and speaking on multiple panels of our own.
If you missed them IRL, check out the recordings:
- Agency Reviews: The Good, The Bad & The Costly
- Unifying Content Marketing and Demand Generation for Strategic Growth
- Why Data is the Make or Break in 2024
Keep reading to uncover our top industry takeaways from Advertising Week New York:
AWNY 2023 adtech news
It’s all about AI: Today, adtech experts are looking toward AI to help close the gaps between tighter budgets, increased competition, and rising pressure to convert sales.
- Advertisers can work smarter (and faster) by leveraging first-party data and AI to predict their ad performance.
- Retailers have the unique ability to leverage a large set of first-party customer data in order to train AI to predict how ads will perform and identify potential improvements, changing the game for advertisers.
- AI and digital advertising converge to drive innovation and create new opportunities for marketers across the media landscape.
- The “work” of marketing is now managing these systems and processes so they function together, but they’re often still out of sync — and the customer can feel it.
- We need to rethink the marketing playbook and build informed, intuitive experiences for the consumer.
- Smart brands are realigning strategies, values, and goals to bridge the gaps across teams and tech and put the customer at the center.
- The martech and adtech space continues to evolve on the back of privacy, data, and ever-changing consumer expectations.
AWNY 2023 agency news
Creative agencies need to diversify: Faced with business and industry pressure from all angles, the future for agencies has never been more conflicted.
- Clients are seeking simplicity, integration, and — importantly — breakthrough creativity all under one roof.
- Not only are clients asking for it, but great ideas deserve it. AWNY media news.
- Building strong industry partnerships will set you up for measurement wins, too.
- From the value-add of partner integrations to the streamlined simplicity of process once a partnership is established, working together supports measurement for brands and agencies.
… Yet leaders still feel optimistic: The future has never looked so radical, yet agency and marketing leaders have never felt better.
- They’re optimistic about the impact of their role, their dedication to long-term growth, and their enthusiasm for technological advancement.
- But while the vast majority say they aren’t phased by the change ahead, less than half believe their business is ready to embrace it.
AWNY 2023 media news
Brands are hungry to make meaningful connections with consumers: From finding the right partnerships to centering community values in one’s work, brands must embrace storytelling to build businesses across product categories that truly resonate with diverse communities and positively impact culture.
Influencer strategies should be built around real consumer tensions as expressed in the existing social conversation.
Brands don’t need to chase every flash-in-the-pan trend, but how you create content connected to social culture is critically important to driving engagement and building a community.
Paid media is an important part of building momentum and ensuring content is delivered to the right people at the right time.
AWNY 2023 sponsorship news
It’s time to invest in women’s sports: Nearly every organization (WNBA, NWSL, LPGA, etc.) is seeing all-time highs in viewership across linear TV and streaming. Not to mention a dedicated fan base.
- On the performance marketing side, this increased media attention shows that it’s the perfect time for brands to invest in women’s sports to drive brand goals and marketing ROI.
- Brands are building new verticals and creating authenticity for fans and athletes.
Fluent fandom is a lifelong journey: It’s crucial for brands and their agency partners to know the rhythms and rituals of a sport.
- The space between authenticity and falling flat is narrow but means everything.
- Connecting with consumers through universal passions allows brands to jump the bounds of traditional segmentation and establish authentic connections with new audiences.
- Gaming is one such passion. It attracts a diverse audience and brings in more revenue than the music and movie industries combined.