When it comes to choosing a challenging career path, there is nothing that comes close to the competitive nature of a career in sales. While your team members might be your buddies, it’s no secret everyone in the pit wants to outperform one another. If you want to be the top dog, it’s crucial to practice continued learning through sales certification courses.
Whether you’re a first-time salesperson beginning your career or a seasoned sales professional, there’s always room for growth. According to Jordan Wan, Founder & CEO of CloserIQ,
“Selling skills are often gained from experience, but candidates can stand out by including formal training or certification from a well-known sales philosophy on their resumes.”
With the rise of online learning, there’s no shortage of classes you can take that offer you a certification in a particular trade or skill. To help you outperform the rest and take your expertise to the next level, we’ve tracked down some of the most reputable courses and programs for sales professionals.
Here are eight certifications to add to your sales portfolio:
1. Certified Inside Sales Professional (CISP)
The AA-ISP is an association that exists to promote excellence in the workplace. In order to advance inside sales, the AA-ISP offers several certifications to provide a framework for virtual salespeople. The CISP is one of the most extensive certifications available and shows an employer that you have a desire to keep learning. The web-based program includes a comprehensive, 10-module preparatory coursework, followed by a final “live sales call” role play exam.
As the world continues to change, so does the role of a sales professional. That’s why a refresher course for the certification is required about every three years so that you can stay up-to-date on industry advancements.
This 8-week course is legit, and so is it’s pricing. AA-ISP members receive a discounted rate of $875, while non-members pay the full price of $975.00.
Register for the CISP here.
2. Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP)
The National Association of Sales Professionals’ Certified Professional Sales Person (CPSP) certification is aimed at sales executives, CEOs, and sales professionals. Over a period of 6 weeks, the online program is designed to transform you into a top performer in sales. The program is designed to help salespeople:
- Shorten sales cycles
- Effectively overcome objections
- Create sales habits that set them apart
- Close more sales
Along with joining specific courses, the NASP presents an opportunity to become a member, where salespeople have the chance to access a wealth of networking, extended training, and career opportunities.
Costing a total of $595.00, the CPSP produces seven key results and was created to help sales professionals learn how to use different styles of communication to close more sales, and ultimately unveil areas within your sales process that could be improved or re-evaluated.
3. Challenger Development Program
The Challenger Development Program is a transformation program designed to improve performance of the sales experts and lift sales results. The two-day workshop is designed for sellers and managers for the purpose of more effectively navigating the complexities of the modern sales landscape.
The course consists of adult learning blended with guided practice and application. The ultimate goal of the Challenger Development Program is to discover how to attract and retain prospective leads throughout the sales process and ultimately engage the most valuable customer stakeholders.
4. SPIN Selling
Looking to take your people skills to the next level? SPIN selling courses are essential for those working in sales, sales management, business development, or a customer-facing role. The ultimate goal of SPIN is to learn the best practices to demonstrate value to a prospect or customer.
International training provider and behavior specialist Huthwaite International created the program in an effort to help salespeople improve their emotional intelligence. The program dives into behavior principles underlying effective sales tactics. The seven-week expert training prepares teams to be well prepared, persuasive, and in-tune with customer needs.
5. Certified Sales Leadership Professional (CSLP)
Also offered by the National Association of Sales Professionals (NASP), The Certified Sales Leadership Professional (CSLP) program is offered to transform salespeople into leaders in the space. This approach is proven to make the difference at the individual, team and company levels by:
- Building a self-directed and empowered sales team
- Aligning individual motivations with achieving the company’s goals
- Supporting your sales team with the tools they need for success
- Leading sales people past their own perceived limitations
- How to lead by example
- How to help your team build consistent and sustainable habits for successful results
The six-week course provides strategy and daily proving conditioning to improve leadership skills and create positive habits that will benefit both your team and the organization. You can get started for $696.00.
6. Sandler Training
Sandler offers a variety of weekly and monthly online training courses for convenience to you and your team. The Sandler sales training program aims to teach you and your sales team how to engage prospects and exchange information with them in an honest, organized and non-manipulative manner. At the end of the day, Sandler wants to teach sales professionals how to make a sale that is in the best interest of both parties.
Through its Sander Certified program, it provides four different levels for sales professionals to enhance their sales skills with a specific focus for each course:
- Bronze Certification: Knowledge
- Silver Certification: Application of Knowledge
- Gold Certification: Skills
- Master Certification: Top-tier Performance
7. Certified Sales Executive (CSE)
Offered by Sales and Marketing Executives International, the Certified Sales Executive certification consists of self-study courses with an exam in conclusion. SMEI is the only global sales and marketing professional association. Becoming a member includes access to online forums, educational webinars and peer connections for knowledge sharing.
The learning method throughout the course includes personalized study plans, interactive elements, current events articles, and critical thinking challenge questions. The purpose of the training is to raise the standard of management and to continuously progress leadership qualities across sales teams. Some key learning objectives include:
- Learn how a firm’s sales and marketing strategies affect its overall strategy
- Identify issues today’s sales leaders face
- Comprehend how buyer-seller relationships are established and maintained
- Identify factors that determine what types of training are needed by salespeople and implement effective training programs to develop the salesforce.
- Learn to set goals and manage the salesforce’s performance
- Understand cultural forces and how a diverse sales team is important to the organization’s success.
Members receive a discounted rate of $899.00 while non-members are required to pay the full amount of $1049.00
The purpose of Meddic courses is to add to your certifications, just learn, or both. Meddic is based off a sales mythology represented by the following acronym:
Metrics: Quantification of the potential gain and ultimately the economic benefit
Economic Buyer: Interaction with the person who has decision control over the funds
Decision Process: Process defined by the company to reach the purchase decision
Decision Criteria: Criteria used by the company to make the purchase decision and choose among options
Identify Pain: Actual pains at the company which would require your product/service to be relieved
Champion: Powerful & influential persons at the company, who are favorable to your solution
Meddic offers three different courses:
- Introductory to MEDDIC: This course is a mini-course that takes all of 15 minutes. While it is free, it does not offer a certification at the end.
- Full MEDDIC: This program provides a series of 10 mini courses, totaling 2 hours. The cost is $497.00 / year and you will receive a certification at the end.
- MEDDIC Certified: There is no course associated with this certificate. All that is required is that you pass an exam controlled by MEDDIC Academy and you will receive a full certification. This exam costs $697.00.
In sales, earning a sales-specific certification is becoming more popular among those who want to stand out in the job search process, those looking for a promotion, and those simply seeking to improve their skills. Plus, investing in your own personal growth is never a bad investment.
Did we leave anything off the list? If you suggest a certification that we left off, please leave it in the comments below!